Thursday, December 26, 2013

Our Inner Kid.

Sarah Ban Breathnach once said "Begin today. Declare out loud to the universe that you are willing to let go of struggle and eager to learn through joy".  This has taken a new meaning in my life since I became a father 2 months ago.  You see, I used to go through life one year at a time... you may be thinking, well? what does that mean?  I used to be drowned in a daily routine that I had built for myself out of comfort.  At the end of the year I would look back and think "Where has this year gone to?"... " What happened to the last 12 months?... and then, this huge feeling of unaccomplished will fill the deepest ends of my soul.  Now, what does this have to do with the so recent arrival of my son?  Things have changed... and as the quote I shared earlier says, I've been able to let go of struggle and learn through joy.  How?  I've started to look at the world and everyday events through his eyes.  Let me explain.... and in order to do that let me talk about kids.
I love hanging out with my beautiful nephew, Grant.




I love the way he sees the world, because he is seeing it for the first time.  Kids in general have a great sense of awareness.  I love how they could just stare at a bug crossing the sidewalk, or the way they might stare amazed as they attend their first soccer game. I love the way they can spend hours picking up flowers in the backyard and making a beautiful centerpiece for mom to enjoy.  I love the way they see the world.... because they are seeing it for the first time.  Having this sense of awareness (or "learning through joy") is nothing else but embracing our inner kid.  We can not forget that we still have that little girl/boy we used to be in us.  Embracing that inner you is simple, its just remembering that you once saw all those things for the first time, too.  There was a first time for everything.... your first job interview, your first ride to school, your first kiss, your first date, your first heartbreak, your first time pulling a five dollar bill out of a pair of pants you just washed.... (we all love that feeling), or your first time fitting through the doggy door....  :)


Being aware of the great things around us will not only help us remember the many things we are blessed with on a daily basis, but will help us all battle temptation, depression or simply boredom.  Jesus Christ asked us to be like little children.... Why?  They are humble, forgiving, full of promise.... but most importantly they have a sense of awareness that helps them be grateful.  

So now you know.... my baby boy Luca has changed my life in ways he doesn't even understand yet... thanks to him I have woken that inner child in me... I'm more aware.  I try to see everything through his eyes and as a result, like my favorite Primary Song says,  I'm trying to be like Jesus. 




               

1 comment: